Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers

Monday, July 7, 2008

Ripe Raspberries

The sweet, delicious red raspberries are ripening in my garden! And I think there are going to be quite a few berries. I wasn't sure what to expect this year, because we moved quite a few of the plants this spring. The berry patch was looking a little sparse early in the season. The last two summers were very hot and dry and last year we had a very late freeze. Although we gave the plants extra water over the summers, I think the weather was a little hard on them and the center of the patch had died out. In April, we moved a lot of newly sprouted canes and condensed the growing area. Since then we've had A LOT of rain here in Indiana. The new canes now appear healthy and will bear fruit next summer.

In the mean time, I should be able to pick enough berries to make at least one batch of my favorite red raspberry sorbet! I'm off to pick berries and in the next few days I'll make sorbet. I'll have pictures and will share my surprisingly easy and mouth watering recipe!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Can't wait how you'll turn these wonderful raspberries into a refreshing sorbet. Bet your sorbet also looks so good.